Serve on a Board
Are you looking to make a difference in your community? Each year, millions of individuals dedicate their time and expertise to shape the future of nonprofit organizations through board service. Board members provide the critical intellectual capital and strategic resources to power nonprofit success and strengthen communities. You could be one of those individuals:
- Individuals who are committed to sharing their time and talents to help make the world a better place.
- Individuals who have specialized skills and expertise that could benefit a nonprofit board’s work.
- Individuals who are willing to be enthusiastic advocates for an organization and encourage others to get involved.
Serving on a board is a wonderful way to support a cause that you care about. But it also can be a powerful way to build your own skills and expertise. Individuals who serve on a board have the following opportunities:
- Develop and grow as leaders and have the opportunity to cultivate new skill sets.
- Expand their network of peers, professionals, community leaders, and community thought leaders.
Interested? For the past 25 years, BoardSource has been working with nonprofit leaders on exceptional board practices. Based on that experience, we have compiled a roadmap (see the links at the left) for you to find the information and resources you need to decide if board service is right for you and, if so, to start on the right foot.